Archives

Pretty in Pink

I was never over the moon about Indigo Rose’s Pretty Pink breast cancer awareness biscornu…until I saw a shop model.  OMG, I thought it was to die for! So much smaller, so much cuter, so irresistible IRL!  I started stitching it as a karate project straight away.  And then…buttonhole bars.  A stitch I’d never even heard of before.  I tried to stitch it without a strong light or magnifying lens.  Well, I have clippy magnifying lenses for away-from-home stitching, but no strong light.  That didn’t go well.  I had no idea what I was doing, if I was doing it right.  It took awhile before I was brave enough to try again, this time at home under the daylight lamp.  I guess I was avoiding something else…cutting threads on Desiderata, maybe, you ask?  Yeah.  Probably so. ;o) 

I had a few false starts–three or four, I’m not sure–before I felt like I “got” what was going on.  I did a decent enough job for a fake-it-til-you-make-it attempt.  Actually, my initials and the date are, I think, the wonkiest part of this biscornu.  I did them on the diagonal so they’d be face up when you looked at them.  I’m glad you can’t see them under the tassels, because they’re uneven and unbalanced.  I arranged the biscornu on my table with the initials facing backward to prevent drawing attention to them.  I call the initials and year “vanity plates” b/c I think I’m funny. 

Pretty in Pink biscornu top 05.08

Pretty in Pink stitched.

Pretty in Pink Biscornu 05-08

I painted the pedestal white.  It’s an uneven paint job; I did that on purpose.  I used DMC 818 no.12 perle cotton for the tassels instead of the white perle cotton included in the kit.

Pretty in Pink

Vanity Plates!

Vitals:
Pretty in Pink breast cancer awareness biscornu kit
Designer: Catherine Strickler of Indigo Rose
Substitutions from kit supplies: used DMC 818 no.12 perle cotton for tassels instead of included white, painted pedestal white

Dragonfly Pond

Know what?  It’s actually possible to overstuff a biscornu.  I like my biscornus plump and full.  I went a little overboard with this one, and had a helluva time getting the center stitched.  I couldn’t pull it as tightly as I like to; it was stuffed too full.  This guy caused me tons of trouble.  I don’t love it any less.  I still love it bunches.  I’m glad to have it out of my hair, too.

What I’ve learned: 
OK, number 1: Don’t cut too close to the edge of the design before finishing! 
Number 2: Use my curved needle when stitching the pieces together.  It’s easier.  Don’t forget next time. *sigh* *shaking head*
Number 3: Stuff full, but don’t overstuff.  I will be sad.
Number 4: If embellishing with beads, use them when stitching the pieces together, not after.  That way they for certain won’t be uneven, which I hate.  Not so much that I can’t let things be. 🙂
Number 5: If you’re moved to name your biscornu, let everyone know: Yeah, “Dragonfly Pond!” How’d ya guess?

The Vitals:
Design: Dragonfly by Elizabeth’s Designs
Fabric: random green scrap of 32-ct linen, stitched 2 over 2
Floss: as charted, except for DMC 945, which was substituted for 948 *shrug* Close enough.  And I stitched the leaves symmetrically, rather than sequentially, b/c that’s the kind of hairpin I am. 😉
Monogram by Linda P Reeves of La Broderie, like I always do.

Now for the best part:  Plenty-lots-of pictures! 😀

dragonfly pond stitching 08.07

Re-stitching complete.

dragonfly pond biscornu  top 08.07

The top, with the included dragonfly charm.  The cool thing about this charm is that it has legs underneath.  I love it.

dragonfly pond biscornu side 08.07

The side, with added baby dragonflies, afluttering about the “pond.”

dragonfly pond biscornu bottom 08.07

The bottom.